- 2 cups rice
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 400g lean blade steak, sliced into strips
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 3 teaspoons red curry paste
- ½ cup chicken stock*
- 500g pumpkin, finely diced
- 2 red capsicums, seeded and finely sliced
- Rind of 1 lemon, grated
- 250 mL reduced-fat coconut milk
- 1 bunch English spinach leaves, washed and roughly chopped
- Cook rice following packet directions.
- Heat half the oil in a large pan, pan-fry beef for 5 minutes until brown, set aside.
- Heat remaining oil and pan-fry onion until tender.
- Stir through the curry paste, stock, beef, pumpkin, capsicum and lemon.
- Simmer for 10 minutes until pumpkin is soft, adding a little water if necessary.
- Pour in coconut milk, stir through spinach and cook until wilted.
- Do not boil. Serve over rice.
Tip: To reduce fat content, substitute one can of low-fat evaporated milk and one teaspoon of coconut essence for coconut milk.
Can be stored for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Chopping board
- Large knife
- Medium sized saucepan
- Large non-stick frypan
Queensland health acknowledges the development of the Healthy Food Fast cookbook by the Department of Health Western Australia. www.gofor2and5.com.au. Recipes from Healthy Food Fast © State of Western Australia 2011, reproduced with permission.