- 400 grams canned tomatoes (no added salt)
- ¼ cup reduced fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup wholegrain breadcrumbs
- Pepper to season
- 4 slices wholegrain bread, toasted
Tip: Make your own breadcrumbs by removing the crusts from day-old wholegrain bread slices and cut into cubes. Transfer the cubes to the bowl of a food processor and process until finely chopped. Freeze left over breadcrumbs in a sealable plastic bag and freeze up to three months
- Heat tomatoes and juice in small saucepan for five to seven minutes on medium heat.
- Stir in breadcrumbs, cheese, dried basil and pepper and simmer for two minutes. Remove from heat.
- Toast bread and divide tomato mixture between each.
- Cut into squares and serve immediately.
- Cook other vegetables with tomatoes such as capsicum, onion and zucchini.
- Serve with 1 cup sliced mushrooms and 2 cup sautéed spinach.
- Use fresh instead of canned tomatoes.
Can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Can opener
- Medium bowl