Spicy orange chicken with baked vegetable parcels
19 serves of veg
2 serves of fruit
- 8 chicken lovely legs (800g) or skinless drumsticks, trimmed of fat
- juice of 2 oranges (200mL)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin or coriander
- freshly ground or cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- grated rind of 1 orange
- 700g pumpkin, peeled, cut into 1cm cubes
- 500g sweet potato, peeled, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 red onion, sliced into wedges
- 440g can no-added-salt chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Divide orange juice, garlic, cumin/coriander and pepper evenly between two cups, stir to combine.
- Add honey and rind to one cup for chicken marinade. Place chicken in a medium sized baking dish, pour honey marinade over and toss to coat chicken. Cover dish, refrigerate and marinate chicken for as long as time permits, from 30 minutes to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced).
- To make vegetable parcels, cut four 50cm lengths of both baking paper and foil and place foil on a flat surface, top with baking paper.
- Divide the pumpkin, sweet potato, onion and chickpeas amongst the parcels.
- Pour ¼ marinade on each parcel. Fold the long sides of baking paper and foil over filling to enclose, tuck short sides under to seal. Place parcels on a tray and bake with chicken, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Turn legs over and cook for a further 15 minutes until chicken is browned and cooked through, and vegetables are tender.
- Divide chicken between plates, spoon over any pan juices. Add a vegetable parcel to be opened at the table, or spoon vegetables and sauce onto plates.
- Serve immediately.
- Replace chickpeas with a can of drained no-added-salt cannellini beans.
- Add a handful of cherry tomatoes to vegetable mix before baking.
- The parcels are best eaten immediately.
- 2 cups
- medium sized baking dish
- baking tray
- serving plates
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia 2013 reproduced with permission.